Arbon Legal Group
Family law

Domestic Violence Lawyers Gold Coast

Contact us at Clarity Legal Group to discuss your particular situation with one of our experienced Family Lawyers.

Need help with

Domestic Violence Lawyers Gold Coast

Whether you have financial concerns, or you are concerned about emotional or physical harm, we can help you make those first steps to a safe and secure future.
Worried about

Domestic and Family Violence?

Parenting and Domestic Violence

The effects of family violence on children can be devastating. If shared parenting results in high conflict, the Court may take the view that shared care is not good for children and may order that one parent be restricted from seeing or caring for the children without attending a supervised care centre.

What is Domestic Violence?

Domestic violence can happen in all sorts of ways including:

  1. Physical
  2. Financial
  3. Verbal
  4. Social
  5. Sexual
  6. Stalking
  7. Unwanted calls and texts
  8. Through Social Media posts

If there is a history of domestic violence:

  • in front of the children or
  • towards the children

then the children may be named on an order as ‘protected persons’ and the Court may make orders to ensure they are protected from harm.

Breaching the terms of an Order is a criminal offence and subject to severe penalties.

Wrongly accused of Domestic Violence?

If someone has made untruthful accusations against you it is important that you get urgent legal advice to protect your interests.

Ignoring documents served on you will leave you at risk of orders being made without you being heard. Don’t risk this, contact us today for legal help.


If you are concerned for your immediate safety, please contact the police.

Domesitc Violence Lawyers Gold Coast FAQs

A divorce is a Court Order that severs your marriage.

You do not need to prove that a person was at fault, but there are several factors that must be adhered to in order to be eligible for a divorce.

  1. You and your spouse must have lived separately and apart for at least 12 months (Note: it is possible to live together in the same home and still be separated).
  2. There must be no reasonable likelihood of resuming married life.

It is important to note that a divorce will not determine issues of financial support, property distribution or arrangements for children. It simply recognises that the marriage has ended.

Once a divorce has been obtained, you have 12 months to finalise a property settlement.

There is a filing fee for divorce applications which can be accessed here.

A reduced fee may be available for you as a concession card holder or couples who are experiencing financial hardship.

Read more here.

Unfortunately there isn’t much you can do to stop a divorce these days. Fault or no-fault, one party can apply to sever the marriage if they want to.

You can only dispute the divorce where:

  1. it has been less than 12 months since separation; or
  2. it is filed in the wrong state or Courthouse.

You do not need to attend the hearing. If you disagree or object to the facts of the divorce documents, you may file a response to the Court within 28 days of being served with the divorce documents. However, the Court may still decide to grant a Divorce Order despite your objections unless there is a mistake in law.

✘ NO – If there are no children under the age of 18.

✘ NO – if there are children under the age of 18 and you have made a joint application.

 YES – if there is a child under the age of 18 and you lodged a sole application, you need to attend.

If it is difficult for you to attend in person, you may ask the Court to appear by telephone.

A divorce order takes effect one month and one day after the divorce is granted.

It is possible for you and your spouse to be separated but to continue living in the same home during the 12 months before applying for divorce. This is known as ‘separation under the one roof’. If this applies to your situation, you need to prove to the Court that you were separated during this time.

You need to have been married for at least 2 years and separated for 12 months before you can apply for a divorce. The time starts from the date of your marriage to the date you file your application. If you have been married less than 2 years, you can still apply for a divorce if you have a counsellor’s certificate to verify that the relationship is irreconcilable.

Arbon Legal Group are always providing comprehensive legal help to the people of the Gold Coast community. If you require further information or legal assistance in relation to your separation or divorce please contact Arbon Legal Group on 07 5562 0444 or email

Latest Insights

Related Articles


What clients say