Arbon Legal Group

Separation: What’s required to be separated under one roof?

It may be a cliché but it’s also true: no matter how long you’ve been together, breaking up is hard to do. For married couples, coping with the fallout can be especially complicated – and that’s one reason why so many Australians continue to live together even after separation. But what’s required in order to be considered as “separated under one roof”?

Separation under one roof can be short or long-term

For some separated couples, continuing to live together is just “easier”, at least in the short term. It gives the person who is planning on leaving time to find another place to live, save some money for rent, or make other arrangements. It also gives someone who hasn’t held a steady job time to find one.

Couple fighting

Then there are other couples that prefer to keep living together after separation for a longer period. In many cases, they choose to do so “for the sake of the children”, especially when the kids are younger. Although this is generally discouraged, supporters say it allows both parents to maintain ongoing relationships with the children. Depending on the situation, such as one in which the parents remained civil or even cordial, this may also provide some semblance of stability and normalcy for the kids.

Legal considerations

If you are considering separation but want to keep living with your former partner or spouse afterwards, you may also be concerned about the legality of doing so.

More often than not, it’s perfectly fine. The only time separation under one roof can be tricky from a legal standpoint is if you also plan on getting divorced, or if you and your ex have a disagreement that requires court intervention.

In fact, section 49 (2) of the Family Law Act specifically allows for separation under one roof. It states: “Parties to a marriage may be held to have separated and to have lived  separately and apart notwithstanding that they have continued to reside in the same residence or that either party has rendered some household  services to the other.”

Seeking divorce after separation under one roof

To get divorced in Australia, you must be separated for one year (12 months). Living together for some or all of that time won’t prevent you from seeking divorce, but you must provide additional information along with your application.

Angry couple fighting while moving in their new home

Here are a couple of examples. First let’s say you’ve separated for a year, but you lived together for half that time. In this case, you must provide supporting evidence with your application.

But now let’s say you’ve been separated for five years. In this scenario, you stayed in the same home for the first three years, but lived in different homes for the last two. In this case you don’t have to provide any supplementary information.

What type of supporting material is required?

An affidavit is a sworn statement that you must file along with your application for divorce if you have been separated under one roof. In this document, you give a detailed account of your living arrangements demonstrating your separation during the 12-month period. Specifically, you must explain:

  • different sleeping arrangements (i.e. if one of you moved into the guest room);
  • changes in common activities;
  • specific divisions of household responsibilities;
  • establishment of individual bank accounts and changes in how household bills are paid;
  • the extent to which you informed friends, family and any other relevant people (such as your children’s teachers or caregivers) about the separation.

To get divorced in Australia, you must be separated for one year. Living together for some or all of that time won’t prevent you from seeking divorce, but you must provide additional information along with your application.

You should also be prepared to address any other significant issues in the affidavit, including:

  • Your reasons for staying in the same home after you separated and any forthcoming changes to the current arrangement (if applicable).
  • Any changes directly affecting or related to any minor children (those less than 18 years of age) that you have in common with your former partner/spouse while you were separated under one roof.
  • Which government benefits you receive (if any) and which agencies you notified about your separation. Copies of any relevant correspondence should also be submitted along with the affidavit.

Generally speaking, you won’t have to appear in court unless you made an individual application for divorce and you have a minor child in common with your former partner/spouse. This provision only applies as long as you fully explained your situation and submitted the required affidavits to the court. You may also be directed to appear in court or provide additional material if the court needs more information.

You are not alone

In summary, if your marriage can’t be salvaged and you are considering separation under one roof, you are not alone. Many Australians choose to live together after separation for a variety of reasons. Although this is legal, it can complicate matters if you want to get divorced. Therefore, it is important to get proper legal advice before making this decision.

To learn more about how we can help if you are considering this option, contact us today.

Arbon Legal Group

Arbon Legal Group and its family lawyers provide comprehensive legal help to the people of the Gold Coast community. If you require further information or legal assistance, please contact us today for a 30 minute, no obligation advice over the phone on 07 5562 0444 or email

Nicole Jevtovic
Nicole Jevtovic has worked in Family, Domestic Violence and Criminal Law her entire legal career. During her years as a divorce lawyer and criminal lawyer, Nicole has appeared in court on almost a daily basis. She has extensive experience in court advocacy and has even run trials herself as a solicitor advocate. While she enjoys court representation, Nicole aims to resolve her client’s matters in the most cost effective and stress-free way possible which is why she is an advocate for mediation and negotiation outside of court.
Table of Contents
Free Consultation

Call now to arrange a free 30 minute consultation with a lawyer.

Latest Insights

You may also be interested